Friday, April 12, 2013

Boycotting Bad JuJu Jane... again

April 12, 2013
Colorado USA

I do not hate Jane Fonda. I was taught not to hate indiscriminately. I do not know Jane Fonda or her work (yawn!) well enough to hate her. But, I do despise the woman with every fiber of my being and yes, this is based solely on her actions and words during the Vietnam era and her lack of sincere attrition since. Old remorseless Jane used to make me angry but I got over that a long time ago. Now I exorcise bad juju Jane with lethal sarcasm whenever an opportunity to do so presents itself.

It is hard to ignore old Jane when her face pops up all over the internet and social media. That's when I know she is up to her old pranks. Sigh! I fervently wish she would do or say something original rather than subject the world to the same old crass and contentious remarks which are either vulgar or disrespectful and when she's having a good day - both. Jane is a no talent has-been trading on aberrant behavior financed by the fame and fortune of other people for far too long. She has no class and capitalizes on that shameless characteristic whenever she has something to promote. Keep in mind old Jane is old enough to be my mother (no disrespect intended to my lovely, classy, talented, ageless Mom).

Needless to say, anytime Old Hanoi Jane pops up, there will be Veterans and friends of Veterans calling her out for her decades old crimes. In response to Larry Reyes, a Navy veteran and founder of the Boycott Hanoi Jane Playing Nancy Reagan Facebook page ol Jane said, Get a life.

Then... In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Fonda said of her casting: If it creates hoopla, it will cause more people to see the movie… I figured it would tweak the right. Who cares?

So - there ya go. Hoopla. That's it. Old Jane knows why she has been brought in.

The movie slated for release in the Fall of 2013 is titled, The Butler and described by imdb as: A look at the life of Eugene Allen, who served eight presidents as the White House's head butler from 1952 to 1986, and had a unique front-row seat as political and racial history was made. I found the story line itself intriguing but it would have been better served by casting unknowns. Just reading the names of the all-used-to-be-star-cast was a snooze fest. When was the last time you actively pursued seeing a movie with Jane Fonda, Robin Williams, John Cusack, Oprah Winfrey, or Vanessa Redgrave? And then we have Mariah Carey and Lenny Kravitz? How the hell did Alan Rickman get cast as Reagan? This movie is not about the Reagans or the other presidents and I warrant that the people who do see it will be thankful that most of the has-beens have only bit parts or cameos.

Aside from dubious casting for this movie I think bringing in Hanoi Hoopla Jane to play First Lady Nancy Reagan is just bad juju. The makers of this film are of the mind that hoopla will actually generate ticket sales. What? Among what far-fetched demographic I ask?

Let's conduct a amateur analysis based on a reference point significant in the story - Reagan's term of office. Ronald Reagan was president from 1981 to 1989. Eugene Allen served as butler in the white house from 1952 to 1986.

I am going to use a loose stat that most movie goers are in the 18-24 age range. Now I am going to bump that age group to 25-32 simply because I suspect the first group are less likely to purchase a ticket to see a drama based on a character who served in the White House while they were still in diapers. A 24 year old today would have been born in 1989 - the last year Reagan served. The demographics of the second group does not make them seem any more likely to buy a ticket for this movie as they were still adolescent at the time-frame of the story. A 32 year old today would have been born the first year Reagan served - 1981. Neither one of these demographics work for me. I am fairly certain most in the 18-32 age range might recall Reagan as a president, the first lady not so much and Jane Fonda not at all.

Here's what I think a reasonable demographic might be: People my age (mid-50s) and older (mid 60s - stretch it a bit to the mid-70s) are likely the most reliable demographic for a movie of this type (based on the era and historical drama factor). I think it is also safe to say that people my age and older are not a sought after audience for film makers so why would they target such a market? Let's go one step further and base the analysis on the popularity of Reagan and Fonda among the third demographic. Reagan plays well in most conservative camps. Fonda does not. I think the movie might attract a moderate number of liberals based on the story line. Most people in the third demographic (conservative and liberal) remember Reagan well and more importantly Vietnam. A good many of this age group are Vietnam Veterans or family and friends of Vietnam Veterans. Again, Fonda does not play well with Vets (no pun intended - ok maybe it was).

So how does casting the iconic equivalent of Medusa for this demographic translate to ticket sales?

I might add that this third demographic is not as easily fooled by Hollywood hi-jinx. They are certainly not impressed or intimidated by the bloviating, egotistical self-importance emanating from Hollywood types these days. However, BOYCOTT does play well with this demographic set.

I am reminded of a line from a Jack Nicholson film, As Good as it Gets. Melvin Udall said - Go sell crazy someplace else; we're all stocked up here. Yep, that about sums it up. Banking on hoopla stirred up by bad juju Jane to equal get-rich ticket sales for what promises to be an all hype and no substance movie is simply insane. I say all hype and no substance for one glaring reason - hoopla is the marketing strategy. I, for one will pass.

Finally, and I know this is just a shameless parting shot - If I had to cast no talent Hanoi Hoopla Jane in a historical part - I would pic Marie Antoinette. Of course, Jane is too damn old to play Marie who was only 38 at the end of her days but I would plop down my money just to see the ending. Grin.

Boycott Hanoi Jane Playing Nancy Reagan Facebook Page
Fox News Jane Fonda Tells Veterans Get a Life

2 comments:

  1. Love the story and so totally agree with it all. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated - thanks for sharing.