Sunday, March 10, 2013

Open letter to Colorado Lawmakers

March 10, 2013

Senators of Colorado,

I wrote a few days ago and received only one response in regards to my concerns of the over-reaching gun control/gun ban legislation before you. To that single lawmaker - thank you for your timely and almost immediate response and candor. To the Senators who are fighting this legislation - our deep appreciation - please keep up the good work.

Govenor Hickenlooper dismisses gun owners as inconsequential in Colorado. He is on record as saying... "Not only do they not represent the middle, I don't think they represent the Republican party. I don't think they represent a large number of people." It is really disheartening to think that comment is likely indicative of the overall sentiment in the state house. He is right about one thing - I am not a Republican. I am not a Democrat. No - I am one of those scary, unknown entities - an Independent. Boo! Talk about underestimating the opposition. It makes me smile, actually.

I can deal with the bills passed concerning background checks and fees as exactly what they are - extortion. Sadly, 1st amendment rights were extorted long ago. The right of the people to speak freely requires a fee (we call it a tax). The right of the people to assemble peacefully also requires a fee/tax unless you dub yourself as occupy this, that or the other of course. I am assuming that's why lawmakers think they have a green light to go after other rights. Please be advised, my 2nd amendment rights are not for sale or barter. I will not presume to speak for other gun owners - I will simply take my gun money elsewhere and when small gun shop owners in Colorado start to fold along with the other businesses that will leave the state you have only yourselves to blame or congratulate depending on which way you look at it.

Voting yes on HB1228/1229 demanding arbitrary background checks and fees (really a tax) for private gun sales is indicative of the mercenary approach to lawmaking. The money man is urbanite public opinion I guess. So we get a legislature who thinks we have to do something even if it makes no difference - we cannot do anything about violence or the criminal element - so we will compromise the rights of and penalize law abiding citizens.

Demonizing gun owners is simply the politically correct and fashionable the "thing" to do these days it seems. I guess if one is easily swayed by the current administration in DC or large metropolitan areas that bear no similarity to Denver or more importantly, Colorado at large - it would be the easy way to go. It is just a thought but if I had wanted to live in California or Illinois or New York I would have moved there. It pains me to think that the state formerly known as Colorado aspires to be some perversion of states I bear no respect for at all -- shall we rename ourselves Californorado or NewYorkorado or Chicagorado - or here's a good one Obamarado?

We chose to live in Colorado back in 1998. We can and likely will choose to live elsewhere. We will simply vacate the state taking our tax dollars and freedom-loving frame of mind with us. We are not so arrogant to think that will make the least bit of difference to a single lawmaker. But, just so you know - we will likely be here long enough to vote our conscience in 2014. I hear that phrase often when I speak with lawmakers and often I hear it in a condescending manner... Lawmakers are not the only ones who vote their conscience. By the way - voting along party lines is not voting your conscience - it is simply a sign that you lack imagination, or heaven forbid are just too lazy to think for yourself or do your job.

Simply stated: Voting yes on HB 1224 (to ban - yes, call it what it is - a ban on guns and magazines and only a prelude to gun registration/confiscation) is a deal breaker for our household.

Signing off with reluctant respect,
Substituting Dissident Daughter for real name here for blogging purposes
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself. ~~ Archibald Macleish

P.S. It should be interesting to note that we have guns that have not been out of the closet in years - nearly 20 years I think - until recently. They are out now and cleaned and oiled and in fine working order. We have not added to our firearm collection in years but now those old guns have new company. We did not arm ourselves because we feel extraordinarily threatened by the criminal element in suburbia. We have armed ourselves because we believe it is our right to do so. Most constitutional rights lay dormant until threatened. Current legislation is a threat to our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. There is no other way to see it. It is a sad thing to think we have more to fear from an over-zealous, gun grabbing, presumptuous we-know-what-is-best-for-you legislature than from the criminal element that allegedly lurks on every corner now in America. We do not buy into the chicken little histrionics coming out of DC and we are not buying into the chicken little histrionics coming out of getting-too-big-for-its-britches Denver either. I have said it before. I will say it again. Denver is not Colorado.

Evil is out there and should be dealt with accordingly with laws (most of them already on the books) that make a difference - but Evil is not resident in my tax-paying, law-abiding, freedom-loving, gun-toting, flag-waving, Harley-riding, patriotic heart and I resent that you think so.

Lawmakers are going to have to work a little harder to root out what is wrong with our society and fix it.

Hint: It is not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated - thanks for sharing.