Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Open letter to governor

March 13, 2014

Subject: Parting Shot

Gov John W Hickenlooper
136 State Capitol
Denver CO 80203-1792
Phone (303) 866-2471
Fax (303) 866-2003

Governor Hickenlooper,

I write one final time to urge you to reconsider signing the heinous gun ban bills that will soon arrive on your desk. Make no mistake, those of us who actually know our second amendment rights understand that Colorado intends to register, confiscate and eventually ban guns. The laws cannot be enforced otherwise. Lawmakers cannot refrain from calling this a first step toward a total gun ban. I will add my voice to the many who believe Colorado as a government entity has lost all integrity by demonizing law-abiding gun owners and stripping away gun ownership rights. Aside from the assault on the second amendment, for a politician who campaigned on the promise of building the economic structure of the state I find it the height of hypocrisy to see you not even flinch at the prospect of running business out of the state.

It might come as some surprise to you that until Colorado threatened our right to keep and bear arms, the firearms we own had not seen the light of day in over 20 years. That neglect has been corrected and we own a few more now.

It is a sad day to hear what was once a proud freedom-loving state compared to New York and California.

I have to tell you I was sorely disheartened when I heard this statement from you about gun owners.

Not only do they not represent the middle, I don't think they represent the Republican party. I don't think they represent a large number of people.

You are correct sir in one regard. I am not a republican. I am not a democrat. I am an American first and an Independent always in all aspects of my life - not just politics. Oh, and I understand exactly what that means for me and for politicians. I was disheartened by the statement because you spoke as a politician and a democrat not as a governor. Call me naive but it was my understanding that a governor, much like a president is supposed to represent the interests of all the people in the state. I do not see any evidence of that in this state or in the country at large. I sincerely believe that you, speaking specifically have woefully underestimated the opposition.

Colorado was a dream I had as a girl. Once I laid eyes on the Rocky Mountains (about the age of 12) I knew I wanted to live here one day. I moved here with my husband in 1998 with nothing more than a truck full of stuff, the dog, very little cash and a pocketful of dreams, ready for a grand adventure. Well, we have lived the dream. Fortunately, we got most of that done before you and the last round of democrats took office. We have worked hard and played hard. We have camped and fished and ridden our Harley all over this glorious state and enjoyed every freedom-loving minute of it. But, in 60 some odd days the Colorado we knew and loved is fast becoming nothing more than a pleasant memory. Our dream of Colorado is now a nightmare. If anything could ruin this state for us - it is the politics of the day. With a single scrawl from what can only be described as an assault pen you will mark the day that I/we go in search of a new dream because this one is as dead as if you had put it in the cross hairs of a rifle and emptied a 30 round clip in it.

If I had wanted to live in California or New York or Illinois - I would have chosen to live there 13 years ago. You will not know when we cross the state line for the last time. And I doubt you will feel the impact of the loss of our tax dollars. I have advised the small population of friends and family in my little world to visit and vacation elsewhere and we will meet them anywhere but here. I have told them that the Rocky Mountains are not exclusive to Colorado. I will not contribute more than what is absolutely necessary by way of tax dollars to benefit this state while I still call myself a resident. And I live close enough to Wyoming for that not to pose much of a problem.

I will not live with the mockery lawmakers have made of the fundamental rights formerly known as the law of the land. I will not live under tyranny. I will not live where the fundamental rights granted to me by law and providence are ground under the feet of smug, over-reaching, pretentious, do-gooder lawmakers who blatantly refuse to listen to the people and demonize the ones they do allow to speak.

I ask that you do not sign HB 1229/1228 (extortion) and especially not HB 1224 (gun BAN) into law.

It is a sign of our times that all Americans will have to eventually pick a side and make a stand. I stand on the side of freedom as our founders conceived of it. I will draw a line in the sand a bit further south to make my stand.

This geographically-challenged Texan (make that two of us) can and will secede from the state of Colorado.

Signing off with respect under duress,
Two Dissenters

Signatures removed for blogging purposes - original including signatures faxed 03/13/2013

1 comment:

  1. Great letter - but it appears they didn't listen, huh. How tragic, trampling on our 2nd amendment rights!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated - thanks for sharing.