Monday, January 17, 2011

Say it ain't so... NAACP a special interest group?

January 17, 2011
Colorado, USA

Gov. Paul LePage, Maine (R) when pressed about making room in his schedule for MLK celebrations -- said about the NAACP:

"They are a special interest...

...End of story. And I'm not going to he held hostage by any special interests. And if they want, they can look at my family picture. My son happens to be black. So they can do whatever they'd like about it."

LePage's son, Devon Raymond, was adopted from Jamaica.

...when pressed by the reporter for a response to claims by the NAACP that he has a history of being racially insensitive, the governor shrugged and answered, "Tell 'em to kiss my butt. If they want to play the race card, come to dinner and my son will talk to them."

Apparently, the governor finally freed up some time to attend an MLK event, but is being accused of all sorts of nefarious behavior - among them his "civility" is being called into question. Seriously - in light of recent behavior (dare I say questionable civility) of media, pundits and assorted bureaucrats, after the Arizona shooting tragedy, I think some people are not in a position to demand anything of the sort.

And, his comments did not miss the mark. We have too many organizations that have outlived their usefulness and too many organizations parading under a double standard. Last time I checked CIVILITY is not a "right" when one engages in public discourse nor is the lack of CIVILITY against the law. Myself, I applaud the man's honesty.


Source: My apologies -- ABC News.com, Maine Governor - NAACP
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/maine-gov-naacp-kiss-butt/story?id=12633462

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated - thanks for sharing.