Friday, August 29, 2008

Obama Speech - Greaaat Expectations

August 29, 2008
Colorado USA

Did I say GreaaaAAAaaat Expectations? Yes, Tony the Tiger great. Did I say Extreme Makeover? Yes, I did... this is one job Ty, Ed and the crew could not handle.

Was the message new?

NO. Obama did not say one thing that we have not heard before, not just from the O-man himself but from every single politician looking to get elected or re-elected anywhere.

Did we learn about a new brand of politics?
NO. Evidently that new brand of politics where we don't engage in bashing the current administration or attacking our opponents is off the table.

Did we get specifics?
NO. We got more of the same lofty idealism we've been hearing for months with nothing we can sink our teeth into.

Did we hear a plan?
Yeah - generally - sort of - that's where I got great expectations and extreme makeover.

Sitting at home, watching the scene play out before you... it is so easy to buy into the popularity of the man and his message, the cheering crowds, the tears, the smiles, the fireworks and confetti, the back-slapping and hand shakes, until you remember that the 85,000 or so that filled Mile High Stadium last night were nearly ALL Democrats. They are already on board the O-Train... He didn't have to sway opinion in a mixed crowd. This crowd had already bought into whatever he's selling (whatever being the operative word here), all he had to do was reinforce what they already believe with inspiring rhetoric filled with a plethora of warm fuzzies. It is easy to look like a rock star when the venue is filled with people who adore you and apparently are ready to follow you blindly into the great unknown... because that's what Obama talked about - the fantasy world of hope and change aka the great unknown.

Let's say you were to take what he says seriously, believe in the promise of a New America... Just be practical for a minute... in order to even begin to do all that he proposes, he would have to clean house, literally, meaning wipe the Republican Party and probably a few Democrats and Independents as well off the face of the earth and convert the rest of the world into a congenial, moral society eager to have an American President stroke them into complacent decency.

Otherwise folks, it's gonna be a new face in the Oval Office and business as usual in Washington.

It's exhausting just reading what he thinks he can accomplish in four years... unless he manages to change his tenure as President... at one point he says he'll eliminate our dependency on foreign oil in ten years... a tall order for a four year term.

Here are a few promises Obama made...

Let me spell out exactly what that change would mean if I am President.

•Change means a tax code that doesn't reward the lobbyists who wrote it, but the American workers and small businesses who deserve it.

•I will stop giving tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas, and I will start giving them to companies that create good jobs right here in America.

•I'll eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow.

•I will cut taxes -- cut taxes -- for 95 percent of all working families.

•I will set a clear goal as President: In 10 years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East.

•I will tap our natural gas reserves, invest in clean coal technology, and find ways to safely harness nuclear power.

•I'll help our auto companies re-tool, so that the fuel-efficient cars of the future are built right here in America.

•I'll make it easier for the American people to afford these new cars.

•I'll invest $150 billion over the next decade in affordable, renewable sources of energy -- wind power, and solar power, and the next generation of bio fuels -- an investment that will lead to new industries and 5 million new jobs that pay well and can't be outsourced.

•I'll invest in early childhood education.

•I'll recruit an army of new teachers, and pay them higher salaries, and give them more support.

•And we will keep our promise to every young American: If you commit to serving your community or our country, we will make sure you can afford a college education.

•If you have health care -- my plan will lower your premiums. If you don't, you'll be able to get the same kind of coverage that members of Congress give themselves.

•I will make certain those companies [insurance] stop discriminating against those who are sick and need care the most.

•Now, many of these plans will cost money, which is why I've laid out how I'll pay for every dime: by closing corporate loopholes and tax havens that don't help America grow.

•I will also go through the federal budget line by line, eliminating programs that no longer work and making the ones we do need work better and cost less.

•I will end this war in Iraq responsibly and finish the fight against Al Qaida and the Taliban in Afghanistan.

•I will rebuild our military to meet future conflicts, but I will also renew the tough, direct diplomacy that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and curb Russian aggression.

•I will build new partnerships to defeat the threats of the 21st century: terrorism and nuclear proliferation, poverty and genocide, climate change and disease.

•I will restore our moral standing so that America is once again that last, best hope for all who are called to the cause of freedom, who long for lives of peace, and who yearn for a better future.

Did I say TALL order? Especially that last one -- restore our moral standing -- hmmm... One has to wonder how you mandate morality among countries who do not recognize basic, human rights (like: LIFE). I don't have the energy to argue each point. I'd like to believe he can do it. I'd come more believing some of it IF instead of saying I have a plan he'd say let me spell out the plan.

I ask again... is there anything new here? Haven't we heard all of it before in one form or another? It would be greaaaaat if Obama could deliver even one of the above... or possibly reveal exactly how he proposes to do any of the above. OK - give me change I can believe in -- give me details. I need details.

Listening to planned oratory delivered in a contrived setting is sort of like surfing the internet... once you get past all the eye candy, well you gotta have content. Content. I need content.

Politicians have been promising to deliver us from ourselves and the evil politics of the opposing party since they first crawled out of the abyss. Apparently, none have been able to fulfill those promises. Because, here we have yet another one promising the very same thing.

The Democratic Campaign 2008, this far, aside from fireworks and confetti and pretty rhetoric delivered in a hugely extravagant venue that inconvenienced 75 percent of the population in Denver and travelers along Interstate 25 - did not deliver anything new. It was more of the same under a clear Colorado night sky.

Let's see what those Rascally Republicans have to say now...

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/convention2008/barackobama2008dnc.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated - thanks for sharing.